To install Cygwin sshd, complete the following steps:
- Download the Cygwin program from the following Web site: http://cygwin.com/
- Run the setup program.
- Select the packages to install. In addition to accepting the default packages, select the following packages:
- From the admin category, select cygrunsrv (version 1.17–1 or later).
- From the net category, select opensshd (version 4.6p 1–1 or later).
- When the installation process completes, start the cygwin bash shell.
- From your system information, use the cygwin mkpasswd utility to create an initial /etc/passwd. You can also use the mkgroup utility to create an initial /etc/ group. See the Cygwin User’s Guide for more details.
For example, the following command sets up the password file, passwd, from the local accounts on your system:
mkpasswd -1 > /etc/passwd
- Run the ssh-host-config program setup.
- Configure SSH. Answer Yes to all questions.
- Start the SSH server by running the following command:
net start sshd
- Open Windows Firewall and allow inbound access to the following file.